COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETINGS
2nd Thursday of each month. Generally there will be a Rosary beginning at 6:30 p.m.
The Council Meeting begins promptly at 7:00 p.m.
ABOUT OUR COUNCIL
The Cardinal Ritter #1221 Council is located in New Albany, IN on historic Main Street. You can contact the Knights of Columbus in New Albany by phone at (812) 944-0891. The K of C Cardinal Ritter Council #1221 celebrated 100 years during the year 2007.
Bishop William E. Lori of Baltimore, MD., a New Albany native is the Supreme Chaplain of the Knights of Columbus. The Rev. William Ernst is the K of C Council #1221 Chaplain.
The New Albany K of C supports various charities. Some charity efforts include: The Gibault Home, Crusade for Children, St. Elizabeth’s Maternity Home, Hospice of Southern Indiana and Thanksgiving baskets for the needy.
Fundraisers include Fish Fries, Spaghetti Dinners, Steak Dinners and Hall Rentals.
The Cardinal Ritter K of C #1221 Council purchased a home at 315 E. Ninth St. in 1937 to hold meetings. Prior to that, meetings were held at various locations.
The K of C moved to its present location on Main Street in 1953 after acquiring land and title of the old Catholic Community Center.
Most Rev. Joseph Elmer Ritter Born in New Albany, IN, July 20, 1892. Ordained priest at Saint Meinrad, May 30, 1917. Named rector of the Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul, Indianapolis, in 1924. Appointed titular bishop of Hippo and auxiliary to the bishop of Indianapolis, February 3, 1933. Consecrated in the cathedral at Indianapolis, March 28, 1933, by Bishop Chartrand, assisted by Bishop Emmanuel Ledvina of Corpus Christi and Bishop Alphonse J. Smith of Nashville. Made vicar general of the Diocese of Indianapolis, February 5, 1933. Bishop of Indianapolis, March 24, 1934. Installed as first archbishop of Indianapolis, December 19, 1944, by Archbishop Amleto Giovanni Cicognani, apostolic delegate to the United States. Transferred to St. Louis by virtue of apostolic letters dated July 20, 1946. Formally installed in the Cathedral of St. Louis, October 8, 1946. Proclaimed and created a cardinal by Pope John XXIII on January 16, 1961. Died at St. Louis, June 10, 1967. Buried in Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis, MO.